Tuesday, July 29

Bomberos

Fire station in Parrita just south of Jaco.
Fire station at the international airport in San Jose.
Recently, I received a very nice letter from Marc in New Jersey. He is a professional firefighter there. I thought I would post a couple of the photos I have of fire stations here in Costa Rica as my thanks to him for writing.
Fire stations are few and far between here in Costa Rica. In fact, we don't have one in Jaco. I have a photo of firemen standing around a burnt-to-the-ground old part-wooden house, smoking cigarettes and stomping out embers. Yes, Parrita is about a 20 minute drive to Jaco. Who knows, maybe they burnt it on purpose. It was on beachfront property and the house was old. No one was living there. I know no one was living there because no one was at the fire. When it's someone's home, everybody shows up to watch. I later got a photo of the big fire truck at a local watering hole (Mexican bar now, Tico bar then). I would have to really search to find these photos. I think Hermosa now has a volunteer fire department. I've seen the little truck, but it's not a fire truck (?). I'll work on this one and see what I find out....
Found them.....circa year 2003.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How interesting...
Look at the old truck at the airport. And the dude giving you the twinkle eye on the left! OK, so I've never actually noticed a fire hydrant in CR. So all they have is what's on board the truck? So I guess it's a good thing not much of a typical building is made of wood...
Beth.

barry said...

Good morning .. Wouldn't you just love to cruise down the road in that vintage Open air Fire truck ...might be great subject for a closeup photo shoot too ... I recently read that a lot of C.A. Fire equip is donated Items,, if so ...they really took care of that one ..have a great week