Wednesday, March 5

"I think, therefore, I AM" - NOT

Having read "A New Earth" has reminded me of my past studies. I have read many books similar to this one but the first book I ever read on the subject of consciousness ("conscience", to be exact) was Carl G. Jung's "Man and His Symbols". I think he died before it was ever published. It was required reading when I was in college studying philosophy/psychology. All of the books by Norman Vincent Peale were required reading by my mother. She was not delighted by my "enlightenment" in college since I questioned some of the Baptist doctrine.
I've since resolved those issues within myself and enjoy reading books like "A Purpose Driven Life", all of Gary Zukav's books, "The Road Less Traveled", etc.
Without these books, I probably would have never stepped outside my comfortable life to experience a new life living in an unfamiliar country where I didn't know the language. I am happy my search for Self has lead me to Costa Rica to experience living again, anew.
BTW - "I think, therefore, I AM" is a misconception. "I am what I am" - didn't Popeye say that?? No truly words ever spoken.

No comments: