Monday, July 7

Guanabana

I made up a little song to remind me how to say Gua-na-ba-na. I had never seen a fruit like this until I moved to Costa Rica. Some folks here consider it nature's ice cream. Guanabana resembles a watermelon in size but the taste is totally different than any you have experienced. The inside is creamy white in color with huge dark seeds. The taste is sweet if the fruit is ripe. Lots of pulp. I didn't realize there is a guanabana tree right outside my fence. The fruit on this tree is disguised very well to be so large. I hope you can give this amazing fruit a try. Tropicana sells a bottled guanabana drink. Delicious and refreshing on a hot day!
For more info, go here.
Studies show it may cure cancer, downside - it could cause Parkinson's disease.
Read about it in the link provided.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - how does your song go? We realized that it's pronounced just like the Muppet song 'Mahna Mahna,' so whenever we drink or think about it, we sing: Guanabana - to Doo te do doo!

Tica Macha said...

THAT'S IT!!! No way could I figure out how to write it. So it's from the Muppet's, I wondered.
Guanabana - to Doo te do doo! Guanabana! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Yes! I've had the song in my head for the last day now. The best we can do for guanabana here is some prefab juice. It still is mighty refreshing.

I found that wikipedia link interesting, especially it being a sort of folk remedy for cancer.

Tica Macha said...

Funny how a song can get stuck in your head. Yep, I've sung it about 100 times since the post. I try to eat just enough guanabana to not get cancer but not too much as I don't want to get Parkinson's. It's a delicate balance. :)

Anonymous said...

The song existed earlier.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mah_N%C3%A0_Mah_N%C3%A0
But once the Muppets cover it, you'll never hear it the same way!

Tica Macha said...

WOW, I never knew. I checked your link and learned something.
I just love people that comment with info to share!!