Wednesday, May 13

Ode to A Tree


This photo was taken in December of 2003. I've known these trees since I first visited this beach back in the year 2000. I had come to Costa Rica for my first time to reunite with my ex-husband. We hadn't seen each other in 20 years. No, I didn't fall in love with the man, I fell in love with the country and moved to Costa Rica two years later.

This photo was taken Sept. 2007. I have many photos of this tree because it has always been special to me. I was upset to see it was dying.


I was walking the beach with my dogs this weekend and was saddened to see it had finally fallen. How many years has it's presence graced this beach? Probably for hundreds of years.


While contemplating it's demise, I thought of the first poem I learned in grade school and wanted to share it with you. I will miss this tree.


Trees

I THINK that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

Joyce Kilmer. 1886–1918

6 comments:

katemeri said...

Such a a beautiful tribute.

Tica Macha said...

I've seen many trees fall but this one, I took to heart.

BreeWee said...

that made me cry.
The night I left CR (Dec 09) we were all sitting under those trees, watching the sunset...

Sorry about your tree, time for some seeds, maybe you can start a new tree for someone else to fall in love with...

Happy Weekend Tica!

Tica Macha said...

What a bright idea Bree!! Thanks for you kind words. I do miss that tree but not as much as I will miss THE TREE where they surf down at the bungalows. It's not looking like it has many years to go. I have photos...

Anonymous said...

Is this tres arboles?

Tica Macha said...

I'd say no since I don't know "tres arboles"