Tuesday, May 27

Behind Bars = Freedom


It's a bit of an oxymoron living behind bars giving you freedom. It's an acceptable way of life here and one I fought for a very long time. I DID NOT WANT BARS ON MY HOUSE. When they were installed on the main part, I was depressed about it. They were ugly and I felt imprisoned. I have come to love my bars and the freedom they allow. No longer do I worry every time I leave my house, will my computer, etc. still be there when I return. At night, while sleeping, I've always felt pretty secure with having my buddies Smith and Wesson next to me and of course, my ferocious four dogs. Nothing gets past them.

My security (fence, bars) was the last item on the list of renovations. If I ever move, it will be the FIRST thing that is done. Now that my entire house has bars, I feel a sense of ease and freedom within my home and when I am away. Maybe the bars are ugly but living here where thievery is "normal", I do so love them.

Note: There is a concrete constructed closet behind those louvered doors which juts out on the frontside of the house. Yuk! Just part of the way the house was built. I didn't do it. In fact, I want to knock the whole thing out but then what another mess! It's best to know when to say when. "Git'er done".

11 comments:

trish said...

Out of curiosity, were your buddies Smith and Wesson always a part of your life, or were they something that appeared once you got to Costa Rica? Just wondering if your mindset has changed, or if they are just normal part of who you are/were regardless of your place of living.

Debora Edholm said...

Bars are great. I can not imagine living without them and when I go to the states the homes seem so open to thieves without them. I agree...............

Anonymous said...

It is good to see that Costa Rica allows those that live there the means to protect themselves. It shows that the government there truly does care about it's people.

Thank you so much for taking the time to show us your Costa Rica.

photoARTworks said...

Teri---
Actually, when I look at your picture, I never saw bars----I see beautifully open walls to the world! It really looks designer! You did a great job! As a retired firefighter, I don't like bars on windows because they block a potential lifesaveing exit source. But, what can you do? They are also a lifesaving source by keeping undesirables out. Anyway, I thing your design is so awesome! I love windows and the entire walls in that room are windows! How awesome! Enjoy the world around you!

Anonymous said...

I spent a lot of time in India as a kid and bars are necessary there. I never felt trapped, and I don't think anyone else did either. In fact, they were a lot of fun to play with since we often tied strings or rope to them while playing.

Every so often someone would have some really nice, decorative bars. If I were designing a house, I would try to create bars that mimicked some of the beautiful angular patterns of ancient Japanese architecture.

Tica Macha said...

Agreed, those bars are not decorative, totally functional. The rest of the house has "prettier" designed bars. My house is total windows, all around, so that was a big project. I love it being so open even with all the bars. You do learn to look through them, not at them.
I went out last night to a BBQ. It was the first time I've been out at night in a VERY LONG TIME. I didn't think twice about someone breaking in. Bars = Peace of Mind.

Anonymous said...

Bars are a must. A house without bars is just easy pickins for a real thief. As far as your two buddies, good for you. Must be a little bit of that southern girl comming out in ya. The dogs, well you know one thing, you won't be ripped off by an iguana. Love the pic's. Hope your well.
Brace

Anonymous said...

The decorative bars I mentioned were fully functional - they just looked nice too :-) They're the kind I would want.

The most common bars were 1 1/2" thick iron bars set about 6" apart.

Tica Macha said...

Yep, I'm a southern girl. I should have a sign that reads "the guard dogs are just for show, their owner is the real danger". Here, where they poison dogs to rob you, you have to do all you can to deter would be intruders.
Bars with spaces big enough to get your head through (6 inches) will not work. These crackheads are pretty skinny and can slip through. Teri

La Gringa said...

Hmmmmm. This article is definitely food for thought. I've never looked at it that way before.

Thanks for writing it.

Anonymous said...

It's the same way in Malaysia. Everyone has bars. Funny, but I eventually got used to them too. After awhile you don't even notice them. Still, it's sad that it's necessary in some countries.

Take care sweety and keep those dogs hungry. Is the beer still cold :-)