Thursday, September 25

The Backroads


This is a little market in Mata De Platano. Locals call it the "Mini Super" or pulpería. A true pulpería has most of the items behind the counter and you have to ask the cashier for what you want. They are usually the size of a big walk-in closet (American standards). A Mini Super is similar to the small family groceries we had in the States fifty odd years ago.

One of my favorite things to do is get in my car, destination unknown, and just drive the backroads. It is so interesting to see how other people live and visit the little communities up in the mountains. Granted, they wonder how I got so far off track but a big smile and a greeting warms them to the wandering Gringa.

I had to stop and get a shot of the clothes hung out to dry by the corral. I didn't go unnoticed by the bull and the dog. I just love scenes like this. Reminds me of a time lost.

The one photo I DIDN'T get (and wished I had) was a little tope (toh-pey). Topes are when people with horses get together and ride (horse parade), usually to raise money for a cause like to repaint the church or help the school. All entrants pay a little fee to ride with the group. At the local community center they were having a festival and all the little children (ages 3-7) were riding their stick horses around the circle drive. I got such a kick out of watching them but I didn't photograph it. My bad.

No comments: