Wednesday, September 10

Jaco Beach City


click on photo for close up. To return, click back arrow (upper left corner)

These two photos were taken yesterday. When I look back....
We have had so many beautiful days in a row, I forget we are headed dead straight for rainy season. I saw some of the effects of the little rain (in comparison) we did get recently and it is amazing how THE EARTH MOVES. Call it erosion, I see the effects in my own backyard. Slowly, my backyard is sinking towards the beach.

Sunday, I took a walk on the beach and couldn't believe, the high sand dunes that separate the river from the ocean are GONE. Vanished. Wide open clear, CLEAN beach. Weird. Usually with the rains, we get tons of driftwood on the beach. No debris, just wide open space. I hardly recognized it. My solution to my erosion problem is to build a pool. I need the fill dirt. It all fits perfectly for my solutions to the gradual erosion. Plus, less grass to mow. Something to think about as I'm pushing my lawn mowing, trenching out the back lot line for drainage and trimming hibiscus hedges full of ants so the sun can shine through and dry out the grounds...

The photo below was taken in 2004 when the parking lot of Marea Brava was taken out to sea with all the heavy rains. You really can't believe how much rain comes down in one session unless you've lived it.
Pura Vida.
Since this photo, Marea Brava has reinforced that side of the lot twice. The last time was with rocks in cages which held strong during the last rain. The time before, the rocks delivered weren't in cages and they were promptly washed out by the river.

This next photo was taken up on the mountain and you really can't tell how very large those trees are from the photo. Those trees are just perched on a sliver of the mountain above the road, waiting for the next big rain.

And I bet you thought this post was going to be about "Jaco Beach City". I don't have much to say about that right now. I am still in awe.

2 comments:

Peggy said...

I love that I have been there so I recognize Marea Brava and know about the sand dunes you are talking about!

How long is the rainy season?

Tica Macha said...

It will last to December.
I was down at the beach yesterday and the river is starting to wind again instead going straight out to the ocean. The tides will bring the sand back by mid-October.
Just loved your newsletter this month!