Monday, September 1

A Living Fence


We will see these fences lining roads all over Costa Rica. I had never seen a living tree and barbed wire used for fencing until I visited Costa Rica in 2000. It still impresses me how practical the people here can be. Periodically, they cut back the branches on the tree and you can judge how old the fence is by the size of the trees. Any readers know what type of tree they use? It's all the same type.

It's typical here that properties have physical bounderies. You can see the grids from the air when you fly into the airports. When I bought my property, the next day they were out there sticking hibiscus cuttings criss-crossed in the ground to mark the property line. I have forever now been cutting back that hibiscus! I have long ago lost my view to the beach. I wonder if they will let me cut a "window" in the hedge wall?

2 comments:

Oasis of the Toucans said...

Da Fence appears to be madera negro ( gliricidia ..or glirCIDIUM )That, and the hibiscus, can be hat-racked as you like.
NO PROBLEMA with the MINAE crowd....
Call me if you need more info.
www.oasisofthetoucans dot com....

Anonymous said...

During my travels in CR there I noticed this quite a bit as well... however more so in the valley areas and farms (like Arenal) then elsewhere.